Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dawg Gone Good BBQ

Downtown Delight




My first entry is a document of what I love doing the most. Eating. Well, maybe just enjoying really good food. It was a Saturday night and my boyfriend and I were feeling adventurous. A couple of months back my parents and I came across a small, slightly sketchy looking barbecue restaurant but didn't have time to wait to get food so we passed up on it. Ever since then I have wanted to go back but couldn't remember where it was exactly or the name of the restaurant. Talk about frustrating! Fortunately, my boyfriend is awesome and love exploring more than I do and was able to figure out where it was. We took a trip downtown, bypassed the billions of bars, burgers, and baristas and found bbq!




 Dawg Gone Good BBQ 
"You can taste it, before you buy it"
224 W Hancock Ave AthensGA 30601


I looooove barbecue and from the second I walked into this restaurant I knew the food was going to be great. The smoker for the meat was just outside the main entrance and it smelled AWESOME! As we walked in the owner was laughing and joking around with my boyfriend making us feel very welcome. The food was all prepared and you could tell and smell that it was home-cooking. 

I got a bbq pork sandwich, mac and cheese, and baked beans. I am a mac and cheese fanatic and this is the best I have ever had. It was cheesy to the max but had an unexpected smoky flavor that was incredible. Baked beans are always a gamble for me, but these beans with cinnamon in them payed off. As for the sandwich, we both got the sweet and hot sauce mixed and it was a winning combo.


My boyfriend was raving about the food as much as me and was a huge fan of the mac and cheese and the creamy potato salad.

All of this great food came at a great price. At $8 for a plate which includes a sandwich and two generously portioned sides of your choice, there is no reason you shouldn't check this place out.

Dawg Gone Good BBQ recommendations:
  • Get the mac and cheese!
  • Mix sweet and hot bbq sauce for a sandwich
  • Get it to go, very little seating
  • Only open Thursday-Saturday so plan ahead!
  • Pluses: Open til 3 am on the weekends

No comments:

Post a Comment